Monday, December 20, 2010

Jackie Boyz: Under The Radar



You may not have been able to guess this but, I am very big on hip hop & r&b. (Wait For Crickets) I'm one of those people that can have a year long argument about the absence of artistry in mainstream rap and the fact that the r&b artists from the 80's and 90's would sing circles around today's superstars. Enter the Jackie Boyz. These two brothers (not just by race) are a very talented singer/songwriter duo with the potential to go places. I first came across them while watching a video on MDL, the young producer I made an earlier post about. Now it is very easy to dismiss this article and say that this is simply my opinion, but, before you finish your thought take a listen to the video above, (if you haven't already) and then take into consideration that these two have written songs for Trey Songz, Bruno Mars, & Toni Braxton. The songwriting ability is definitely there. Oh Yeah did I for get to mention they were only between 17 and 18 when they got their first songs placed on major label projects?



Some of you may know this song already. What you probably don't know is that this was originally demoed by the Jackie Boyz and is now a fairly popular Colby O'donis' song.



The point I'm trying to make is that there are quite a few talented singer/songwriters out there that try to make their own careers in the industry and for some reason they can't seem to do it. I find this fact to be very sad especially when you find the occasional diamonds in the ruff like the Jackie Boyz. It's difficult to fathom how it's possible someone can write the songs that make it big, even sing them better than the artists that end up with the songs, and still fly under the radar. Now, maybe I'm making too of a big deal out of this. It's possible that the Jackie Boyz are quite comfortable with their current positions in the industry (although they've been trying to gain a buzz as artists for 5 years or so with no apparent industry help.) All I know is that, as an artist myself, I would be even more interested in supporting people like the Jackie Boyz, who are self creators, than these creations we get placed in front of us. I look forward to following their careers and hopefully one day they will be able to have the same success as artists as their music has already seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment